The advancement of human rights, conflict resolution or reconciliation or the promotion of religious or racial harmony or equality and diversity can promote human rights in countries whose domestic law provides little or no protection for such rights.
This includes the resolution of international conflicts and relieving the suffering, poverty and distress arising through conflict on a national or international scale by identifying the causes of the conflict and seeking to resolve such conflict. It includes the promotion of restorative justice, where all the parties with a stake in a particular conflict or offence come together to resolve collectively how to deal with its aftermath and its implications for the future.
It also includes purposes directed towards mediation, conciliation or reconciliation as between persons, organisations, authorities or groups involved or likely to become involved in dispute or inter-personal conflict.
The promotion of religious or racial harmony or equality and diversity includes a range of charitable activity directed towards actively promoting harmony and the lessening of conflict between people from differing races or religions or belief systems and eliminating discrimination and promoting diversity in society.
Examples of the sorts of charities and charitable purposes
- charities concerned with the promotion of human rights, at home or abroad, such as relieving victims of human rights abuse, raising awareness of human rights issues, securing the enforcement of human rights law
- charities concerned with the promotion of restorative justice and other forms of conflict resolution or reconciliation
- charities concerned with the resolution of national or international conflicts
- mediation charities
- charities promoting good relations between persons of different racial groups
- charities promoting equality and diversity by the elimination of discrimination on the grounds of age, sex or sexual orientation
- charities enabling people of one faith to understand the religious beliefs of other
British Charities in this sector