‘It’s easy to trumpet the facts you care about, far harder to support the ones you don’t.’
Fact checks alone are not enough to halt the spread of misinformation but accurate and balanced information will help. The charity says ‘It is also necessary to push for corrections where necessary, and work with government departments and research institutions to improve the quality and communication of information at source’.
Like Caesar Wife
- Full Fact seeks to be beyond reproach and does not employ outside external fundraisers or employ the kinds of fundraising tactics that give rise to recent public concern.
- They had no recorded fundraising complaints in 2017.
- The approach is that donors are a crucial part of the extended Full Fact team and deserve to be treated with respect.
- They solicit donations from the public on the website and other online channels but are also supported by other charitable trusts. Funders giving more than £5,000 should be listed on the website.
Aspirations for 2019
- Clear well presented facts reflecting both sides of an argument should be checked and treated with integrity.
- Admission of any vested interest by public figures and the media.
- Improved political debate followed by rapid and appropriate action.